Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Simple Rust Technique on Home Decor


I just finished working on a piece of home decor for our living room using a simple rust technique. My motivation was the challenge at A Vintage Journey. After I completed my project, I realized I had failed to add one of the key elements which was purple... as the main colors. Oops! Well, anyway, I have something new hanging beside our rough sawn mirror even though I didn't get to enter the challenge.
I started out with a 5"x12" piece of corrugate and the same of a sheet from Tim Holtz new Dapper paper stash. I peeled some of the top layer off of the corrugate and tore the paper to somewhat match. I distressed both.


I purchased two packages of tin ribbon from Michaels on sale last year and a metal drawer pull from Hobby Lobby... perfect for my project. I first added some gesso to both, let dry and applied some Vintage Photo Distress Stain. I gave them several coats. On the ribbon, I added a little Prima Texture Paste and dumped on Distress embossing powder in Vintage Photo. When it was dry, I sanded with my TH sanding grip, then added more stain until I got the look I was after.


I glued down the ribbon with Glossy Accents and added a piece of vintage doily from my cupboard stash. I also pulled out another sheet of the Dapper PS that looks like rulers, and cut and distressed it. I screwed on the drawer pull to the bottom of the corrugate.


For embellishments, a pulled out TH ephemera packs, Petaloo flowers, 7 Gypsies wood rulers, and a copy of a very old photo of me and my sister at a construction site (?).


My finished project... minus the purple.


I  punched holes and attached wide metal eyelets at the top so I could add jute as a hanger.



Almost forgot... I slipped in a piece of a doily cut with Alterations new Doily Thinlits die that I inked up with Faded Jeans, Weathered Wood and Vintage Photo plus water. Also glued on a twig vine mini heart and a piece of a vine that my granddaughter, Adelaide brought me from her walk in the woods with her mom.


Thanks for stopping by!
Linda

4 comments:

SewPaperPaint said...

Oh how amazing is this! Why not enter in Creative Carte Blanche instead?
http://www.creativecarteblanche.com/2016/03/creative-adventure-2-triple-trouble.html
Love that vintage doily!!! I'm sure it counts as lace. ;0

Lisa said...

Oh wow, Linda, this is stunning!! I love the details and layers!! It's gorgeous my friend!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Audrey Pettit said...

OMGosh, this is SO amazing, Linda! I love every little detail! I am a total sucker for recycled cardboard, so really adore that you used that here. Fabulous layers and papers, too, and your rocked the rusty metal embellishments. The mix of paper and lace doilies is gorgeous. Super love that you used an old photo of yours, too! This is beyond fabulous!

Ros Crawford said...

Oh it's lovely!! Perfect for your photo and so eye catching!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...